Greek mythology meets cute talking animals in this first adventure for Zeus the Mighty. Welcome to the Mount Olympus Pet Center in Athens (Georgia), where Zeus the Mighty (a hamster) leads his critter companions (all named after Greek gods and goddesses) on a dangerous quest across the kingdom. Will they triumph? Find out in this fun and funny new book, inspired by Greek mythology! Watch the video, take a personality quiz, listen to the Nat Geo Kids Greeking Out podcast, and discover more at ZeusTheMighty.com
Welcome to Check Your Shelf! This is your guide to help librarians like you up your game when it comes to doing your job (& rocking it).
Collection Development Corner
- Australian book sellers have begun banning Ronan Farrow’s book Catch and Kill following intense legal pressure from former National Enquirer Editor in Chief Dylan Howard.
- Hachette launches a new imprint, Hachette Go, which will focus on nonfiction health, food, self-help, how-to, and related titles.
New & Upcoming Titles
- Tiger Woods is publishing a memoir.
- Sue Monk Kidd’s next book will be released in April 2020.
- The 13 scariest books written this year.
- Best true crime books of October.
- A fall harvest of new horror novels.
- 150 winter new releases to add to your TBR (or your order lists for your library…)
What Your Patrons Are Hearing About
- Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators – Ronan Farrow (Entertainment Weekly, Los Angeles Times, New York Times, NPR, USA Today, Vanity Fair, Washington Post)
- Me – Elton John (Entertainment Weekly, Los Angeles Times, New York Times, Time, Vanity Fair, Vulture)
- Dear Girls: Intimate Tales, Untold Secrets & Advice for Living Your Best Life – Ali Wong (Salon, Time, Vulture, Washington Post)
- The Body: A Guide for Occupants – Bill Bryson (NPR, USA Today, Washington Post)
- Girl – Edna O’Brien (New York Times, NPR)
- Olive, Again – Elizabeth Strout (Entertainment Weekly, NPR)
- Frankissstein – Jeanette Winterson (New York Times, Washington Post)
All Things Comics
- The graphic novel adaptation of Dracula will feature the likeness of Bela Lugosi in the lead role. Pretty cool!
- Zoe Kravitz is starring as Catwoman in The Batman.
- This nonprofit keeps surpassing its fundraising goals to create comic book libraries at community schools in Michigan!
- Netflix will animate Jeff Smith’s acclaimed comic book epic, Bone.
- The beginner’s guide to reading webcomics.
- Graphic novel adaptations of Neil Gaiman’s work.
- 19 witchy comics for Halloween.
- 20 must-read supernatural manga.
- Best audiobooks of October 2019.
- The viral story of serial killer Edmund Kemper’s audiobook narration tells a bigger story.
- 7 mysterious audiobooks for kids.
- The best audiobooks to listen to while cooking. (Oooh, now there’s a display idea! Pair up cookbooks and audiobooks!)
Book Lists, Book Lists, Book Lists
- 17 Halloween books perfect for toddlers.
- 15 dinosaur books for kids.
- Nonfiction books for tweens.
- 50 must-read contemporary YA novels of the decade.
- Queer YA fantasy novels to put on your radar.
- Witchy YA book recs.
- 10 of the best poetry collections of the decade.
- 5 indigenous speculative fiction authors you need to read. Plus 7 books that explore the many worlds of indigenous scifi and fantasy.
- 40 of the best novels of the 2010’s.
- 5 great American social crime novels, selected by Steph Cha.
- A reading pathway for Bill Bryson.
- 20 essential L.A. crime novels.
- 8 books about whistleblowers.
- 38 paranormal romance novels that are both spooky AND sexy.
- 23 books about angels.
- 10 terrifying works of literary horror.
Level Up (Library Reads)
Do you take part in LibraryReads, the monthly list of best books selected by librarians only? We’ve made it easy for you to find eligible diverse titles to nominate. Kelly Jensen created a database of upcoming diverse books that anyone can edit, and Nora Rawlins of Early Word is doing the same, as well as including information about series, vendors, and publisher buzz.
Thanks for hanging! See you on Friday!
–Katie McLain Horner, @kt_librarylady on Twitter.