Hey YA Readers: It’s YA news-o’clock!
What’s Up in YA? is sponsored by Campfire from Shawn Sarles from JIMMY Patterson Books.
While camping in a remote location, Maddie Davenport gathers around the fire with her friends and family to tell scary stories. Caleb, the handsome young guide, shares the local legend of the ferocious Mountain Men who hunt unsuspecting campers and leave their mark by carving grisly antlers into their victims’ foreheads.
The next day, the story comes true.
Let’s take a look at the latest in YA news from around the web:
- There’s a new trailer for The Darkest Minds adaptation, out August 3.
- Check out the cover for Megan Whalen Turner’s Return of the Thief.
- The trailer for Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly looks so freaking good.
- Apparently Kobe Bryant is writing a YA book and claims it’ll be like Harry Potter? So there’s that.
- I’ve never heard of Sage Alexander: Dark Realm, but there’s apparently an adaptation and it’s had some casting news.
- The first poster for the reboot of Sabrina the Teenage Witch looks awesome.
- Did you know there’s a Weetzie Bat adaptation coming?
- And here’s your trailer for the miseducation of cameron post, which will hit theaters soon.
- A really nice piece on Native YA writers and their recent and forthcoming Native YA books.
- Looking for a subscription YA book box? I wrote about 7 cool ones over on School Library Journal.
- I’m always dubious of any prepub buzz for a book that calls it the next big thing, but it’s likely worth knowing that buzz is coming for Crystal Smith’s Bloodleaf.
- Where are all the YA authors of color? Riding high on the bestseller list.
- Europa Publishing is branching out into YA. We are always in need of more international YA lit, so this is awesome.
- A look at some new children’s and YA books about the refugee crisis.
- And finally, over on my personal book blog, I rounded up all of the 2019 YA books featuring teens of color on the cover which have been revealed so far. Your TBR is going to explore, y’all.
Grab these delicious YA ebook deals while they’re hot:
Heroine Complex by Sarah Kuhn has had so many rave reviews. Grab it for $2.
Vengeance Road by Erin Bowman is a YA western! $2.
Little Monsters by Kara Thomas is a twisty, dark thriller and worth picking up for $2.
Radioactive by Winifred Conkling is the story of Irene Curie and Lise Meitner, radioactivity, and how these two women totally revolutionized science (it’s excellent YA nonfiction!). $2.
Blast From The Past
Some Book Riot YA themed posts from this month in years past that you might want to revisit — or visit for the first time:
- 5 YA romantic comedies to lift your spirits.
- 8 YA heroines you’ll love as much as Wonder Woman.
- 16 tips for surviving in a dystopian society.
Recent Book Mail
Here’s what has hit my mailbox in the last week, for your TBR considerations:
Apple in the Middle by Dawn Quigley (with awesome Native rep and totally fine for middle grade and younger YA readers)
Giant Days by Non Pratt (A novel based on the comics)
Blood Will Out by Jo Treggiari (I was underwhelmed with this thriller, but others have disagreed, especially because the twist is pretty fresh and unexpected)
The Agony House by Cherie Priest
Come November by Katrin van Dam
Thanks for hanging out, and we’ll see you again next week!