Welcome back to In The Club, a newsletter of resources to keep your book group well-met and well-read. Let’s dive in.
We’re giving away a stack of our 20 favorite books of the year. Click here to enter, or just click the image below.
The 2018 Read Harder Challenge is here! I love how different this year’s list is from last year’s — an Oprah Book Club selection! A western! A book with a cover you hate! So fun.
Have a very bookish year: some tips and tricks. Spoiler: one of these tips is “join a book club” which you’ve already got down, but some of these others could help you find the time in your day to keep up with your book group.
It’s not a book group without refreshments and Susie has seven winter drink and book pairings for you, both boozy and non-alcoholic. I will be over here with a chai and Nikki Giovanni, love that one.
More themed Best Of lists for your perusal:
– Autostraddle’s Top 10 Queer & Feminist Books of 2017
– The Root’s 16 Best Books of the Year by Black Authors
– Tor.com’s Top Young Adult SFF of 2017
– Our Favorite British Reads of 2017
– LitHub crunched 35 outlets’ best of lists and came up with the Ultimate Best Books of 2017
– We rounded up Award-Winning Canadian Books of 2017
– Slate picked the 8 Best Audiobooks of 2017
– EW picked the 10 Best Romance Novels of 2017
Not a “best of” per se, but Liberty has some favorite noir for you. Hard cosign on, well, most of these, but particularly Sara Gran and Walter Mosley.
Listen to biographies while you cook! Or knit, or clean, or whatever it is you are doing that means you can’t hold a book in front of your face. Carina has assembled a list of her favorite biographies on audio, all read by the author!
And that’s a wrap: Happy discussing! If you’re interested in more science fiction and fantasy talk, you can catch me and my co-host Sharifah on the SFF Yeah! podcast. For many many more book recommendations (including the occasional book club question!) you can find me on the Get Booked podcast with the inimitable Amanda.
Your fellow booknerd,