Hey YA readers: Let’s catch up on the latest news.
“What’s Up in YA?” is sponsored by Always Smile by Alice Kuipers from KCP Loft.
Seventeen-year-old Carley Allison had it all. She was on the edge of fame as a singer and was reaching for the highest levels as a competitive skater. Her world came crashing down when she was diagnosed with a rare kind of cancer in her trachea. Faced with an uncertain future, Carley rose to the challenge and performed on television for an audience of millions. Now her memory lives on in the countless people she touched with her courage. Bestselling author Alice Kuipers weaves their stories together with the blog Carley kept in the final months of her life and her personal rules for living well in the worst of times.
Here’s what is happening in the world of YA!
- Originally pulled from its original publication date, Blood Heir will be published this fall.
- YA author and comic creator Cecil Castellucci will be publishing a memoir. If you didn’t know already, her classic Plain Janes will be getting republished and repackaged this year, too.
- The Impossible Fortress has been optioned for Netflix.
- Holly Black’s next novel in the “Folks of the Air” series has a new release date — you can get The Queen of Nothing this year, not next.
- An update on the Mackenzi Lee Loki novel from Marvel. Oh, and here’s the cover.
- Speaking of covers, I’m sold on the next Anna-Marie McLemore book by the cover alone and fortunately, the book sounds as great as it looks.
- There’s a Twilight concert tour happening.
- If you haven’t already read Juliet Takes A Breath, you’ll want to make sure you pick it up when it’s republished.
- The Sun Is Also A Star film is coming!
- In anticipation of The Rise of Skywalker, there is a new Star Wars YA novel in the works.
- There is a lot in this study that needs to be looked at and it’s a correlational result, but there’s been an increase in teen suicides in the time following the release of 13 Reasons Why on Netflix.
- Want to spend the night in Hagrid’s Hut? This one’s a possibility, Potterheads.
- Of course, don’t forget you can score your free YA audiobooks this week with AudiobookSync.
I wish I used pencils because I am obsessed with these. $15 for the entire set.
Thanks for hanging out, and we’ll see you again next week. There’s a really great guest coming to talk about her latest rom-com and the power of the genre.