Sponsored by DC.
There’s an apartment building in Gotham City full of life: kids with special powers, pirates in the swimming pool, even a croc (or two!). To Wayne Enterprises, Arkham Apartments is just another property they own, but Young Bruce is drawn to the fun and excitement he sees. Determined to find out why this apartment building is full of so much fun and laughter, Bruce decides to sneak over when no one is looking…even though it’s like the house is laughing at him! Art Baltazar and Franco return to the DC Universe and provide their unique, cartoony take on Gotham City!
Every December, I love looking back at the year in books. Each year brings so many wonderful additions to children’s literature, and it is my honor to look at the books coming out every year and select my favorites. Last week I selected 18 of my favorite picture books from 2020, and this week is chapter books and early readers! These are books for burgeoning and newly independent readers (so fun!). Stay tuned, because next week is middle grade books…
- Arlo and Pips: King of the Birds by Elise Gravel: A delightful new early graphic novel series featuring an arrogant crow and a little bird.
- Narwhal’s Otter Friend by Ben Clanton: The fourth book in this adorable graphic novel series features a new friend, adventurous Otty the Otter!
- Barkus: Dog Dreams by Patricia MacLachlan, illustrated by Marc Boutavant: Barkus has a stomachache in the second book of this exuberant early chapter book series.
- Geeger the Robot Goes to School by Jarrett Lerner, illustrated by Serge Seidlitz: Geegor the Robot goes to school among humans and learns many things about people.
- Mindy Kim and the Birthday Puppy by Lyla Lee, illustrated by Dung Ho: All Mindy wants for her birthday is a puppy!
- Whatever After: Seeing Red by Sarah Mylnowski: Abby and Jonah bump into Little Red in the forest and they try to warn her about the big bad wolf.
- Zayd Saleem, Chasing the Dream: Power Forward; On Point; Bounce Back by Hena Khan, illustrated by Sally Wern Comport: Zayd chases his dream of being a professional basketball player.
- My Furry Foster Family: Roo the Rabbit by Debbi Michiko Florence: A new foster pet arrives at the Takano house: a very shy and skittish rabbit.
- Diary of an Ice Princess: Icing on the Snowflake by Christina Soontornvat: Lina’s cousin Iris is getting married and there is going to be a big celebration!
- Stella Diaz Dreams Big by Angela Dominguez: Stella is having a great year in fourth grade, but has she gotten in over her head with all the activities she has committed to?
Until next time!
*If this e-mail was forwarded to you, follow this link to subscribe to “The Kids Are All Right” newsletter and other fabulous Book Riot newsletters for your own customized e-mail delivery. Thank you!*