Sponsored by Instant Karma by Marissa Meyer with Fierce Reads
A new spin from #1 bestselling author Marissa Meyer!
Prudence Daniels is always quick to cast judgment on the residents of her coastal town. Her dreams of karmic justice are fulfilled when, after a night out with her friends, she wakes up with the sudden ability to cast instant karma on those around her.
When Pru starts to uncover the truth, her newfound karmic insights reveal how thin the line is between virtue and vanity, generosity and greed . . . love and hate… and fate.
Hey YA Readers!
For a year that’s been twelve years long, it’s amazing we’re this close to the end of it, isn’t it?
Let’s dive into this week’s YA book news and new YA books. We have less on the news side and more on the new books side, which means you’ll be able to allocate a little more time for your next favorite read.
YA Book News
- A Black woman is now on board to direct the adaptation of Angie Thomas’s On The Come Up — Wanuri Kahiu is the same director who will be working on the adaptation of The Black Kids.
- This is publishing insider baseball, but for those who love that kinda news, there’s been a change to the Jimmy Patterson line of books for young readers.
- The new Gayle Forman book coming out next year is the fourth one I can think of from within the last year that’s set at an indie bookstore. The others are Aminah Mae Safi’s This Is All Your Fault, Jennifer Dugan’s Verona Comics (technically an indie comic shop), Recommended For You by Laura Silverman, and The Summer of Everything by Julian Winters. I highlighted these books in a June 2020 newsletter.
- I Know What You Did Last Summer is getting a TV series adaptation.
- Peep the cover and synopsis of the new Tahereh Mafi book.
New YA Books
Among The Beasts and Briars by Ashley Poston
The Brightest Night by Jennifer L. Armentrout (series)
The Burning Shadow by Jennifer L. Armentrout (series, paperback)
Foreshadow: Stories to Celebrate the Reading and Writing of YA edited by Nova Ren Suma and Emily X.R. Pan
The Hand on the Wall by Maureen Johnson (paperback)
Lifestyles of Gods and Monsters by Emily Roberson (paperback)
My Heart Underwater by Laurel Flores Fantauzzo
Poisoned by Jennifer Donnelly
Rebel Sisters by Tochi Onyebuchi (series)
A Treason of Thorns by Laura E. Weymouth (paperback)
Warmaidens by Kelly Coon (series)
You Were Never Here by Kathleen Peacock
This Week at Book Riot
- I dug into why I related to Jessica Darling from the Sloppy Firsts book so deeply . . . and why her books, which will be getting a rerelease with updated language and covers in the spring, will still resonate with YA readers 20 years later.
- Sink your teeth into some excellent vampire YA.
- Fantasy YA about girls of the high seas.
How great are these YA book pencils? The set of seven comes out to $15.
Thanks for hanging out, and we’ll see you again on Monday!