Book Riot is teaming up with BookClubbish to give away one book bundle containing 5 books by authors you should add to your TBR list: The Woman Before Wallis by Bryn Turnbull, Saving Ruby King by Catherine Adel West, The Henna Artist by Alka Joshi, The Bright Lands by John Fram, and A Good Family by A.H. Kim.
Welcome to Check Your Shelf. Let’s all put some collective positive energy back into the universe this week, because we all need it.
Collection Development Corner
- Publisher’s Weekly has a Spanish edition now.
- New England booksellers announce a major diversity reading initiative. I really appreciate it when I see these types of challenges that are aimed at the booksellers and the librarians, who are out there promoting books to people. We aren’t exempt from reading diversely.
New & Upcoming Titles
- Sneak peeks at P. Djèlí Clark’s and Cassandra Khaw’s upcoming novels.
- Taylor Jenkins Reid announces a new book, set in 1980’s Malibu.
- 10 new and forthcoming books in translation.
- 22 spooky new books to put you in a Halloween state of mind.
- Books for the week from Buzzfeed, LitHub, New York Times, and USA Today.
- Crime Reads picks 5 debut crime novels for September.
- October picks from Barnes & Noble, Epic Reads (YA), and New York Times.
- Fall picks from Entertainment Weekly, Esquire, LitHub, and StarTribune.
- Vulture picks the best books of the year (so far).
What Your Patrons Are Hearing About
- Conditional Citizens: On Belonging in America – Laila Lalami (New York Times, NPR)
- Where Law Ends: Inside the Mueller Investigation – Andrew Weissman (New York Times, Washington Post)
- Our Bodies, Their Battlefields: War Through the Lives of Women – Christina Lamb (New York Times)
- Can’t Even: How Millennials Became the Burnout Generation – Anne Helen Petersen (NPR)
- Never Look Back – Lilliam Rivera (NPR)
- Jack – Marilynne Robinson (Washington Post)
- Let’s stop with the realism vs. scifi/fantasy debate.
- Why so many readers are turning to the apocalyptic fiction of Octavia Butler.
- An introduction to Spanish-speaking writers who are writing science fiction and fantasy.
- Indie romance books are big business, but why aren’t we hearing about it?
On the Riot
- 5 stealthy ways to help promote new books.
- 5 great speculative fiction anthologies of 2020.
- 8 2020 YA novels with BIPOC facing down the world on the cover.
- 12 new memoirs written by Asian authors.
All Things Comics
- A look at the changes coming to DC Universe, DC Comics’ streaming service and digital comic platform.
- Samuel L. Jackson is playing Nick Fury in a new Marvel Disney Plus series.
On the Riot
- 5 fall activities to pair with audiobooks.
- How turning to historical mystery audiobooks can help us keep perspective.
- The ever-growing world of audiobooks.
On the Riot
- 6 audiobooks written and read by Latinx women authors.
Book Lists, Book Lists, Book Lists
- 8 picture books about ordinary kids’ everyday activism.
- Youth fiction about COVID-19.
- Children’s & YA books by Latinx authors.
- 17 YA books with Latinx representation.
- 21 alternate YA Earths.
- 8 books to honor the life of Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
- 100 essential books by Iranian authors.
- 35 essential works of fiction by Iranian authors.
- Essential election reading for this November.
- 10 Golden Age detective novelists who deserve more recognition.
- Top 10 books about social media.
- Classic queer books you may have missed.
- 15 novels that celebrate bisexuality.
- 8 books featuring bi+ people in long term relationships.
- 15 books just as thought-provoking as Lovecraft Country.
- These books are so sexy, they’re practically erotica.
- 7 medical thrillers that go beyond the emergency room.
- 8 delightful books for fans of Downton Abbey.
- 10 books that explore the complicated relationship of sisters.
- 8 books featuring real history.
On the Riot
- Mom-approved books for ages 0-5.
- 9 of the best children’s books about libraries and librarians.
- 15 horror books for middle school readers.
- 12 gay YA books to make you feel yourself.
- 10 atmospheric YA books to curl up with this fall.
- 21 crucial books for 11th graders.
- 12 must-read romances with great fat representation.
- 5 survival horror novels filled with existential dread.
- 6 books about the dark side of social media.
- 6 contemporary books if you’re a fan of The Bell Jar.
- 4 awesome books about vinyl records.
- 30 of the best historical nonfiction books.
Level Up (Library Reads)
Do you take part in Library Reads, the monthly list of best books selected by librarians only? We’ve made it easy for you to find eligible diverse titles to nominate. Kelly Jensen created a database of upcoming diverse books that anyone can edit, and Nora Rawlins of Early Word is doing the same, as well as including information about series, vendors, and publisher buzz.
Catch you on the flipside, everyone.
—Katie McLain Horner, @kt_librarylady on Twitter.