Sponsored by Oni Press.
Conquering a planet is hard…like, really hard. But when Captain Minky has the idea to conquer the planet of all planets–Earth– his crew sets an intergalactic course few aliens have dared to take. When the Devastorm 5 lands in a defunct amusement park called Fun Fun Fun World, it’s met by Javi, Earthling and amusement park enthusiast. But Fun Fun Fun World is hiding major secrets, and soon the hopes of planet conquering and park reopening start to feel as far away as outer space
Welcome to Check Your Shelf! Well, friends: even in these trying times, we can still count on people to write really dumb op-eds. I’m sure most of you have seen that piece for the LA Times saying that we need to stop wearing comfy clothes to work from home, and all I can say is that I hope each and every one of you are finding joy from wearing whatever the heck you want while we try to navigate this pandemic. Wear those sweatpants, leggings, jammies, Snuggies, and slippers with pride!
Collection Development Corner
- Not surprisingly, Book Expo has been cancelled.
- We Need Diverse Books launches the Emergency Fund for Diverse Creatives in Children’s Publishing.
- Germany will allow its bookstores to open this week.
- With schools closed, book fairs go online.
- Indie Bookstore Day is going virtual this year, plus how to support indie bookstores during quarantine.
New & Upcoming Titles
- Alex Trebec has a memoir coming out in July.
- Aaand…so does Joe Exotic.
- Becky Chambers has two forthcoming solar punk novellas coming out, the first in May 2021.
- 30 most anticipated books of the summer.
What your patrons are hearing about
- Simon the Fiddler – Paulette Jiles (New York Times, Washington Post)
- The Southern Book Club’s Guide to Slaying Vampires – Grady Hendrix (USA Today)
- Hidden Valley Road: Inside the Mind of an American Family – Robert Kolker (Washington Post)
- Chosen Ones – Veronica Roth (New York Times)
- Broken – Don Winslow (New York Times)
- Coyotes of Carthage – Steven Wright (USA Today)
- Horror novel suggestions for every tolerance level.
On the Riot
- Book releases that have been delayed due to COVID-19.
- What is it about creepy kids in horror?
- What is the Great American Novel?
All Things Comics
- Netflix signs a first-look deal with BOOM! Studios.
- Classic Archie comics are going to be released digitally.
- Can comics survive the coronavirus era?
- Comic creators unite to benefit comic shops.
- 8 comics for all ages to keep kids and parents happy during lockdown.
On the Riot
- 8 ways to listen to an audiobook for free.
- Why audiobooks are a victim of classism.
- Audiobooks to savor…and audiobooks to avoid.
- Best audiobooks of April.
- 9 immersive audiobooks to transport you to another world.
On the Riot
- 4 YA audiobooks narrated by actors.
- Audiobooks make reading more accessible.
- 3 under 3: Audiobooks less than 3 hours long for your single sitting reading pleasure.
- 3 creative ways to use audiobooks to help you focus on reading.
Book Lists, Book Lists, Book Lists
- Free picture books for kids that help explain the coronavirus.
- 38 YA fantasy worlds you can disappear into right now.
- 6 YA books that do not f*$% around.
- 16 YA novels with wild plot twists
- Book suggestions when you need solace during troubled times.
- 48 mystery & thriller recommendations based on trope.
- A drag queen recommends 7 books about rejecting normality.
- Most popular books in every state.
- Cookbooks for quarantining.
- 10 favorite books from Samantha Irby.
- 16 meaty book series to get you through stay-at-home orders.
- 15 fluffy romance novels to make your heart grow three sizes.
- Books about books, if you miss visiting the bookstore.
- 20 long books to fill your time.
- 10 inspiring books on how to write.
- 5 horror novels driven by maternal instinct.
On the Riot
- 6 children’s books by women authors that are perfect for Earth Day.
- 10 of the best fake-dating YA novels.
- 13 books that helped this reader improve their mental health.
- 10 high fantasy novels by women.
- 20 must-read feel-good science fiction novels.
- 22 free romance books to read right now.
- 5 dystopian reads if you need a reminder that things could be worse.
- 20 of the best free Kindle books you can read right now.
- 12 books to help you learn a skill while you’re stuck at home.
Level Up (Library Reads)
Do you take part in LibraryReads, the monthly list of best books selected by librarians only? We’ve made it easy for you to find eligible diverse titles to nominate. Kelly Jensen created a database of upcoming diverse books that anyone can edit, and Nora Rawlins of Early Word is doing the same, as well as including information about series, vendors, and publisher buzz.
Virtual hugs. Stay safe, healthy, and relatively sane.
—Katie McLain Horner, @kt_librarylady on Twitter.