All sixteen-year-old Izzy Crawford wants is to feel like she belongs somewhere. Her father, a marine, died in Iraq six years ago, and Izzy’s family hasn’t stopped moving since. When Izzy’s mom settles them in Virginia, all of Izzy’s dreams start clicking into place, although she’s careful to keep her scholarship status hidden from her well-to-do classmates and new boyfriend. Best of all, Izzy’s family has been selected by Habitat for Humanity to move into a brand-new house. Izzy is this close to the community she’s been searching for, until all the secret pieces of her life begin to collide.
Hey YA Fans!
It’s been a big week for the world of young adult literature. Let’s dive right on in.
YA Book News
- All of the biggest winners of this year’s Youth Media Awards — selected by librarians — have been announced. Check out the incredible winners of the Coretta Scott King award, the Printz award, the Morris Award, and so many more. What a year for graphic novels.
- Here is the best fiction for young adults this year.
- This year’s Edgar Award nominees for YA all look fabulous.
- A pile of upcoming YA film and television adaptations hitting screens in 2020.
- And the We Need Diverse Book awards were announced, too.
- The Black Kids, which will hit shelves in September, is being optioned for adaptation. That book cover!
- The Truth Project looks like an incredible read.
- Naomi Shihab Nye is honored with a lifetime achievement award.
- Maggie Stiefvater is writing a Swamp Thing novel.
- There’s a new Kelly Loy Gilbert novel coming.
- While The House on Mango Street might not be a YA novel, it has tremendous crossover appeal. So exciting to see it’ll be made into a television series.
- I suspect fans of Tomi Adeyemi’s series are going to eat this duology up.
This Week’s New Releases
Yay to new books this week! A * means I’ve read and highly recommend the title.
*Almost American Girl by Robin Ha
Blood Countess by Lana Popovic
A Castle In The Clouds by Kerstin Gier, translated by Romy Fursland
Damsel by Elana K. Arnold (paperback)
Diamond City by Fransceca Flores
*Don’t Read The Comments by Eric Smith (of Hey YA fame!)
*How To Build A Heart by Maria Padian
Seven Deadly Shadows by Courtney Alameda and Valynne E. Maetani
The Storm of Life by Amy Rose Capetta
The Wild Lands by Paul Greci (paperback)
Wildfire by Carrie Mac
This Week at Book Riot
Catch up with the latest YA chat at Book Riot:
- Celebrate Valentine’s Day with these To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before goods.
- 60 rad YA book tattoos.
- How well do you know Nancy Drew? Put your skills to the test.
- Take a peek at Random House Graphic Comics for teens and children.
- YA books about fashion design.
Thanks for hanging out, y’all, and we’ll see you next week!
**Psst — you can now also preorder my upcoming August release, Body Talk: 37 Voices Explore Our Radical Anatomy!