Hey YA Readers: Let’s catch up on YA book chat.
“What’s Up in YA?” is sponsored by TBR: Tailored Book Recommendations.
TBR is Book Riot’s new subscription service offering Tailored Book Recommendations for readers of all stripes. Been dreaming of a “stitchfix for books?” Now it’s here! Tell TBR about your reading preferences and what you’re looking for, and sit back while your Bibliologist handpicks recommendations just for you. TBR offers plans to receive hardcover books in the mail or recommendations by email, so there’s an option for every budget. Sign up here.
We’ve done so much book talk over on Book Riot lately that it seems worth rounding it up over here for those of you who (like me!) are still catching up.
- Though this list isn’t exclusively YA, there are a lot of YA titles on it. Get to know some Latinx horror books.
- Here’s a list of 150+ YA books hitting shelves this summer.
- YA books about food (yummmm!).
- I know my windowsill needs some of these Harry Potter potters.
- Also, I need a bunch of these YA book necklaces.
- Enjoy this interview with YA author Sophie Cameron.
- I updated this book list recently and it’s worth a reshare. Here’s what to read if you love The Hate U Give.
- Which Marauder are you? Take the quiz and find out.
- Learning about Cuba through YA fiction.
- A guide for how NOT to get a teenager back into reading.
- You’ll want to go to summer camp with these YA books.
- YA nonfiction revenue increased in 2018, and I’m all for seeing this continue.
- These millennial pink YA book covers are so fun to look at.
- Here’s a roundup of upcoming YA comics.
- Did you get a chance to check out this incredible New York Times feature, where Asian American YA authors chose an old photo and wrote a story based on it?
- YA for that summer TBR. And here are some more summer YA reads!
- Have you seen the story about the cover for The Poet X being plagiarized?
- I taught high school English for a month, and this is what happened.
- A peek behind the curtain of Teen Titans: Raven.
- Great John Green quotes — and prints with those quotes.
- Dystopian never left, friends. YA dystopians forever.
- Who doesn’t need some magical girls in their YA?
- Your TBR deserves some YA books about queer history.
- One reader begs for you to read Megan Whalen Turner’s The Thief (if you haven’t already).
For your ears…
Don’t miss out on the latest episodes of Hey YA, either. The full show has covered YA trends, how excited Eric and I are about the Hunger Games prequel, and I got to talk with YA superstar Sarah Dessen for an hour about the growth of YA and “strong” female characters. Then, join me in the Hey YA: Extra Credit series as I talk with author Tom Ryan about Norma Klein’s Breaking Up (it holds up really well!) and as I dig into Love Is One Of The Choices (this one, not so much!).
Just for laughs…
harry potter if he was a vlogger
1. i killed my professor
2. HOW TO SURVIVE A BASILISK ATTACK (w/ tips)
3. my stalker tried to kill me
4. i saw my crush’s boyfriend die?
5. O.W.L.S vlog (gone wrong!)
6. girlfriend tag! (ft. ginny weasley)
7. I DIED + CAME BACK (not clickbait)
— abby 🙂 (@abbyraejepsen) July 14, 2019
[Tweet from @real_asherlock reads: harry potter if he was a vlogger 1. i killed my professor 2. HOW TO SURVIVE A BASILISK ATTACK (w/ tips) 3. my stalker tried to kill me 4. i saw my crush’s boyfriend die? 5. O.W.L.S vlog (gone wrong!) 6. girlfriend tag! (ft. ginny weasley) 7. I DIED + CAME BACK (not clickbait)]
Thanks for hanging out, y’all, and we’ll see you next week!