Welcome to Check Your Shelf! This is your guide to all things book talk worth knowing to help librarians like you up your game when it comes to doing your job (& rocking it).
Check Your Shelf is sponsored by Seafire by Natalie C. Parker.
After her family is killed by corrupt warlord Aric Athair and his bloodthirsty army of Bullets, Caledonia Styx is left to chart her own course on the dangerous and deadly seas. She captains the Mors Navis, with a crew of girls and women just like her, who have lost their families and homes because of Aric. But when Caledonia’s best friend barely survives an attack thanks to help from a Bullet looking to defect, Caledonia finds herself questioning whether to let him join their crew. Is this boy the key to taking down Aric once and for all…or will he threaten everything the women have worked for?
Libraries & Librarians
- A Utah library has decided to stop promoting LGBTQ materials after patron complaints. This is not: 1. how to respond and 2. how to welcome or work for your entire community.
- The weirdest libraries around the world.
- If any of you have had an animal break into your library like these guys, please hit reply (& include pictures).
- The library director who stole $89,000 to fund his gaming habit was sentenced.
- Snakes! In the library! (And where is momma snake?)
- Check out the library on wheels delivering books in Ghana.
- Librarians know how to find things.
- 10 tech perks available at your library — it’s always nice seeing positive publicity like this on a big site.
- At Denver Public Library: tattoos! Such a fun program for a good cause.
- I love a story where celebrities hear about a library in need and do something about it.
- Why the Tor embargo on ebooks is a wakeup call for libraries.
Book Adaptations in the News
- HG Wells’s The Time Machine will be adapted. Again.
- Every Ursula K. Le Guin adaptation currently underway and rumored to be happening.
- Is there another Little Women adaptation in the works?
- Netflix renewed Anne With An E.
- Just Mercy will be hitting the big screen.
- Some news about Ashes In The Snow, the adaptation of Ruta Sepetys’s Between Shades of Gray.
- Here’s the trailer for the adaptation of Ann Patchett’s Bel Canto.
- The list of projects for Apple TV include a number of adaptations.
Books in the News
- Have you watched the Netflix special Nanette by Hannah Gadsby? We’re getting a memoir.
- There’s also a My Favorite Murder book in the works.
- How Hollywood is rekindling the Rom Com with the help of romance novels.
- A really thoughtful piece about how white the domestic thriller genre is.
- …And Justin Timberlake is writing a book.
- Brian Selznick is illustrating a book of queer poetry by Walt Whitman.
By the Numbers
- People visited libraries more than a billion times (!!) in 2015.
- Physical print books are the only form of media seeing sales increasing.
- Bill Clinton is now a million-dollar seller.
- Here are this year’s Hugo winners. Big kudos to N. K. Jemisin!
- This year’s American Book Award winners.
- The long list for this year’s business book of the year.
- I’m not sure I get why so many non-American books were considered — or made the final list — of top books in The Great American Read.
All Things Comics
- All 20 Marvel Cinematic Universe movies will return to theaters in IMAX.
- Watchmen will be heading to HBO.
- 50 must-read comics about friendship.
- 10 great kick off comics for digging into X-Men.
- New audiobooks for August.
- 10 great audiobooks for traveling.
- 15 audiobooks narrated by the author worth listening to.
Book Lists, Book Lists, Book Lists
- August is Women in Translation Month. Here are some recent books by women in translation to read and share with your patrons.
- NPR put together a list of 100 must-read horror books.
- 15 books like Patrick Rothfuss’s Kingkiller Chronicles.
- The top 10 best-selling books about happiness on Amazon.
- For your fans of erotic fiction: 50 must-read novels, anthologies, and more.
- A Latin American reading list.
- A round-up of great baseball books.
- Thrillers from around the world.
- Enjoy some of these alien books.
- Poetry books for teens to devour.
- New chick lit titles for fans of Bridget Jones.
- Have readers who devoured The Kiss Quotient and want more books like it? Have some!
- And finally, great YA books about witches.
Bookish Curiosities & Miscellaneous
Walked into my local library and felt ATTACKED. 💀 pic.twitter.com/NgUg05O3ch
— cw of the no peak clan 🌿 READ JADE CITY (@artfromafriend) August 4, 2018
- 5 of the best book club apps.
- Bella Swan’s home from Twilight is up for sale.
- Barack Obama’s summer reading list.
There’s this then!
The truest t-shirt to ever t-shirt. Grab one for $23.
Thanks for hanging out and we’ll see you again in two weeks!